While it'd be nice to whip up some foie gras or filet mignon off-the-cuff, such high-flying indulgences aren't always possible. Fortunately, limited budgets and culinary chops don't have to limit how high you can fly—just because we're unable to cook like Michelin-rated chefs doesn't mean we can't wild out in the kitchen. That's why we tapped a true Instagram cooking pro, Peep My Sneaks (whom you might remember from this deep-fried a Big Mac and these fried mozzarella cubes) to expand our minds and guts. His ingenious idea: Make pepperoni pizza stix.
Here's how to make his lactose-powered, deep-fried snack. All you need is the following (and a deep-fryer).
How to Make Pepperoni Pizza Stix
Makes four pepperoni pizza stix
• 4 Polly-O mozzarella-cheese sticks (or an equivalent mozzarella stick)
• 24-ounce jar of marinara sauce
• 15-ounce container of Italian bread crumbs
• 5-pound bag of flour
• 3 eggs
• 7-ounce packet of Hormel pepperoni
• 5-ounce container of basil
• 1 straw or small, circular tool that you can use to hollow out the mozzarella-cheese sticks
1) Pour 24-ounce jar of marinara sauce into a bread pan. Place pan in the freezer and let it sit overnight, or until the sauce is sufficiently solid.
2) Take the mozzarella sticks and, using your straw or circular tool, hollow out a hole through the centers of each stick.
3) Chop your frozen marinara sauce into thin strips that will fit inside of your mozzarella sticks. Fill mozzarella sticks with frozen sauce by sliding the sauce into the hollowed-out holes. If you're having difficulty, cut each stick directly down the middle on one side only (do not cut all the way through), spread the sides of the stick, and place the sauce in the center. Re-seal sticks when finished.
4) Chop pepperoni into small, thin chunks. Place the chopped pepperoni into a bowl.
5) Place flour, Italian bread crumbs, and eggs in separate bowls. Beat the eggs.
6) Roll mozzarella stick in flour. Then, thoroughly soak mozzarella stick in egg. Finally, roll mozzarella stick in pepperoni and Italian bread crumbs. Repeat process with each mozzarella stick.
7) Deep-fry mozzarella sticks for 4 to 5 minutes at 375°F or until golden brown.
8) Using a tongs or a spatula, remove mozzarella sticks from deep-fryer. Sprinkle basil leaves on mozzarella sticks. Serve.