The history behind chicken tikka masala is notoriously murky. The meal has been declared the national dish of Britain, yet also claims an undeniably South Asian ancestry. But regardless of the dish’s contested origins, one thing is for sure: the recipe never, ever calls for seagull.

Nicknamed “Gullfrazie” in the hours since the incident, a seagull was out looking for some meat at a food factory in Wales when it accidentally dove into a vat of chicken tikka massala, turning its feathers bright orange and giving the bird a strong smell of curry. According to the Guardian, the bird was taken to the Vale Wildlife Hospital in Gloucestershire and scrubbed him clean

“He really surprised everyone here—we had never seen anything like it before,” Lucy Kells, a veterinary nurse at Vale, told the Guardian. “He had fallen into a waste vat of curry that was outside, it was chicken tikka masala. The thing that shocked us the most was the smell. He smelled amazing, he really smelled good.”

Despite the appetizing smell, the hospital’s staff refrained from eating the seagull, instead nursing the bird back to health.

“He is a bit skinny so we are building his strength up a bit,” Kells explained. “I guess that’s why he was trying to get a piece of meat from the vat and fell in.”

[via Guardian