Fourteen-year-old Beth Laybourn made the biggest mistake of her young life when she decided to play with the devil and try Doritos Roulette chips. The Doritos Roulette bag contains mostly nacho cheese-flavored chips, but one in six of the chips contain an invisible coat of a spicy flavoring that is reportedly ten times hotter than a jalapeño.
Laybourn, who is also an asthmatic, went through an intense period of distress after she consumed one of the ultra-spicy chips, at which point she was unable to breathe. She tells The Sun, “At first it wasn’t that hot. We carried on going round and I started sweating and a moment later I felt my throat burning. I kept thinking that if it leads to a full-blown asthma attack I could die.“
— The Sun (@TheSun) July 17, 2015
After the girl ate a Dorito and watched her life flash before her eyes, Mashable reports that her Scarborough school deemed the chips as dangerous, issuing a warning for children to avoid the chips as they can cause “severe distress.”
Doritos has come forward, saying that the chips are not suitable for children. A Doritos spokesperson tells The Independent, “The front of the pack states ‘Warning: Some of these chips are ultra spicy,’ while we also say that Doritos Roulette are not recommended for young children.” Too late, Doritos.