An ordinary sight this is not: a decommissioned 20-seat plane has been sitting parked beside a McDonald’s restaurant in Taupo, New Zealand for the past 24 years. After all this time, it is finally being put to good use—it has become a part of the restaurant, acting as additional (and exceptional) seating space for customers.
Restaurant owner Eileen Byrne explains the origins of the plane, saying,
The plane was built in 1943 and was flown by New Zealand’s South Pacific Airlines from 1961 to 1966; its propellers, wings, and cockpit are still intact. It has since been repainted with McDonald’s signature red color and branded with its recognizable lettering.
Photo: Daily Mail
Diners enter the plane through stairs near the tail, and are welcome to take pictures of the cockpit, which is guarded behind glass doors.