Everyone knows that crime, comedies, and edge-of-your-seat dramas like Game of Thrones are more thrilling then, say, Antiques Roadshow. But here’s something you might not know: women actually eat less while watching exciting TV shows opposed to boring ones.
Researchers at Sweden’s Uppsala University studied 18 women while they snacked and watched different TV shows—one show was a comedy and the other an art lecture. There was also a control group, where the women read about insects in Sweden.
Turns out, the women ate 52% more during the boring lecture and 35% more when reading then they did during the more engaging comedy.
Aner Tal, a researcher at Cornell University’s Food and Brand Lab that studies eating patterns and causes, explains to TIME,
Here’s our PSA/completely made-up guide to how much food you should expect to eat while watching TV’s most boring shows:
- The Borgias: 2 party-size bags of Doritos; 1 Big Gulp
- Everybody Loves Raymond: 4 Ho Hos; 1.5 Cherry Fruit Pies
- Antiques Roadshow: 5 Cheeseburger Hot Pockets
- My Cat From Hell: 1 block cheddar cheese; 1 package crackers
- Wheel of Fortune: a whole pizza
- The TODAY show’s fourth hour: 2.5 bottles Pinot Grigio; 1 bag Lay’s Chicken & Waffles potato chips
- My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: the entire fridge