It is never easy to get on a new regimen. For anyone whose daily diet has been a little lackluster of late, adding one of anything can be a challenge. Melanie Pinola of Lifehacker suggests taking digestible steps to give new habits a better chance of sticking. Here are some of her simple, cost-effective tips for incorporating healthy food into your everyday meals:
- Sneak new healthy ingredients in the familiar. It can be an avocado on your burger, bacon/sausage cooked with kale, or making a smoothie out of fruits, yogurt, and a leafy green.
- Switch up your cooking routine. Do easy swaps like canned for fresh, or one brand for another.
- Invest in a juicer (or food processor). Juice your fruits and vegetables for a quick way to get as many of both as possible.
- Double up on your favorite healthy foods. You might tinker with the ratio of meat to vegetables in dishes like stews—it’ll still feel satisfying and familiar even if you use less meat.
- Join a CSA or a weekly food delivery service. This can help you create a routine, and also introduce you to foods you might not be familiar with.
- Make it social. Have dinner parties at home or a restaurant where good, healthy food is the focal point.