This is the last full week of 2012 and, whether you believe in resolutions or not, there is something cleansing about setting some health goals for the new year. Here are a few tips on how to ameliorate the effects of holiday excess and get a jumpstart on new habits.
- Time: When it comes to sugar, there’s a lot of information to sift through. Time debunks five myths, including the notion that anyone can easily limit his or her sugar intake.
- Science 2.0: Our bodies need to reset after a bout of binge eating, and this process requires good old-fashioned discipline (i.e., eating at set times and not indulging too much).
- The Daily Green: Instead of trying to adopt strict rules, go with general ideas (‘eat in color’ and ‘grow your own’) to gain some equilibrium.
- io9: A study published in the Journal of Food Science reports that asparagus extract can not only help alleviate hangovers, but also protect your liver in the process.
- Men’s Health: If you pace yourself and plan ahead, you can avoid growing a beer belly. One tip is to drink water with your booze to “keep you full and fight hangovers.” Keep in mind the ratio: A cup of water for every four cups of liquor (or 2 cups of beer).