Sandy left many with the need to restock their refrigerators for a number of reasons. The food might have run dry. Maybe lack of electricity led to spoilage. Saveur editors pooled their knowledge to come up with an extended list for a grocery run. We sifted through their lists and found several recurring elements. Here are the suggestions we gathered for a masterful restock—check them out, then see all the tips over at Saveur.
- Cheeses: Parmesan, comte, pecorino, Gran Padano, young gouda, mild fontina, cheddar, or La Tur.
- Milk: Organic Valley 2% or whole.
- Butter: European-style cultured butter or unsalted.
- Yogurt: Full fat, plain, or Greek.
- Protein: Chicken thighs, whole chicken, thick-cut slab bacon, Morningstar Farms vegetarian sausage patties or sausages.
- Grains: English muffins, corn tortillas, or gluten-free bread.
- Beer: Dale’s Pale Ale, Lagunitas, or Anchor Bock.
- Vegetables: Carrots, broccoli, dark leafy greens, kale, arugula, beets, celery, cauliflower, potatoes, avocado, cucumber, jalapeños, cilantro, onions, bok choy, eggplant, artichokes, Brussels sprouts, Bibb lettuce, or mushrooms.
- Fruits: Lemons, red grapes, apples, limes, tomatillos, or tomatoes.
- Condiments: Mustard, mayo, and sriracha are frequent guests on the list. Other choices include yuzu koshu, or raspberry jam.