Welcome to Press Play, where we ask chefs to share one of their favorite recipes, as well as a playlist to listen to while you’re cooking it. The prep and cooking time should match the duration of the music (but don’t feel bad if the tunes stop before you’re done).
Chef: Peter Enter and Glen Hudson
PETE ZAAZ’S PLAYLIST BREAKDOWN
1) “Eye of the Tiger” by Survivor: “Rocky! Because it gets you going!”
2) “Ridin’ Dirty” by Chamillionare: “We’re just letting you know what you’re getting into.”
3) “Always Strapped” by Birdman and Lil Wayne: “We just told you why! We’re riding dirty!”
4) “Gotta Have It” by Kanye West and Jay-Z: “We got whatchya need!”
5) “Where Brooklyn At” by DJ Hotday, Pac, Scoob, Biggie, and Kane: “Being from Flatbush Avenue, we need to have a little Biggie in the mix.”
6) “Time to Pretend” by MGMT: “Fake it till you make it, make your own luck—just some Pete Zaaz catchphrases.”
7) “Pursuit of Happiness” by Kid Cudi, MGMT, and Ratatat: “Aren’t we all?”
8) “Eye of the Tiger” by Survivor: “How does it go again?”
9) “The Motto” by Drake and Lil Wayne: “We’re about it everyday….Pizza4Life.”
10) “No Sleep” by Wiz Khalifa: “We don’t get to sleep that much….it’s nice to hear someone else has the same problem.”
11) “Blunt Blowin'” by Lil Wayne: “Read the press!”
12) “Money to Blow” by Birdman, Lil Wayne, and Drake: “It’s not our money, so why not?”
13) “Arab Money” by Busta Rhymes: “Busta knows why!”
14) “Stuntin’ Like My Daddy” by Birdman and Lil Wayne: “For all you haters.”
15) “Motivation” by Kelly Rowland and Lil Wayne: “Keeps you focused.”
16) “Clique” by Kanye West, Jay-Z, and Big Sean: “PeteZaaz has a badass wrecking crew.”
17) “The Final Countdown” by Europe: “Because it is the final countdown.”
THE RECIPE: COLD FRIED CHICKEN PIZZA
Yield: 4–5 14 inch pizzas
Old world-style dough
1 lb all purpose flour
10g fresh yeast
5.5g Kosher salt
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 cup of water
Instructions: Activate fresh yeast at 108°F. Add water, stir, and wait for froth sponge to develop. Combine water, oil, salt, yeast sponge, and flour in a large bowl. Mix all ingredients, kneading together until slightly firm. Let mixture sit covered in a warm space until dough begins to rise. Once the dough has risen a noticeable amount, knead and portion mixture into 4–5 15-ounce balls. Cover rounds and allow to sit again until significant expansion is noticeable.
4 lbs yellow summer squash
18g ground cumin
Red pepper flake to taste
1 cup whole milk
Kosher Salt to taste
1 ½ cups water
5 cloves garlic
1 ½ tsp curry powder
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
Instructions: Preheat oven to 400°F. Slice squash into ¼ inch rings and spread on a sheet tray. Add all ingredients (besides milk) onto squash rings. Cover pan and braise at 400 degrees until rings are soft all the way through. Blend squash in food processor or with immersion blender in incremental levels with the milk. Chill and reserve.
Thai pickled chilies
½ lb peppers of choice
1 cup white vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
Instructions: Slice peppers very thin and cover with vinegar, sugar, and salt. Store at least 6 hours for pickling to occur.
2 ½ lb chicken thighs
8 cups of all-purpose flour
1 tbsp ground red pepper
3 cups milk
8 cups canola oil
½ cup kosher salt
Instructions: Drain chicken and season with salt. Cover chicken in flour seasoned with salt and pepper. Make sure each thigh is totally covered. In a medium bowl mix two eggs and milk. Dip thighs in wet mixture and fry in canola oil until skins are brown and crisped. Do not overcrowd oil with chicken. Set aside and let cool. Pull chicken and skins from bones in desired bite size shreds. Refrigerate.
Stewed Collard Greens
1lb collards, cleaned
1 tsp Kosher salt
Ground cumin to taste
1½ cups chicken stock
1 quart finely chopped red onion
Instructions: Preheat oven to 400–450 degrees. Mix all ingredients together thoroughly in a large bowl. Braise greens in oven at 400-450 degrees until al dente when tasted (30 plus minutes).
Using the already prepared pizza dough, make an evenly round pie on a pre-floured 14 inch pizza peel or stone. Spread 5 tablespoons of squash sauce evenly onto dough. Spread 75 grams of grated fontina cheese evenly over sauce. Spread 60 grams of stewed collards over cheese. Bake pie until crisp (times will vary depending on oven, but dough should be cooked completely through to the middle of the pie with browned edges). Finish with 95 grams of shredded cold fried chicken.
Top pie with pickled chili, sea salt, and olive oil brushed on crust and center. Just before serving, squeeze fresh lime juice onto pie crust. Cut into 8 slices to serve.