Starting an Internet meme is equivalent to sustaining a successful wave at a football stadium. There’s just no telling what keeps.
The latest wave of food memes bring us Fries with Guys and #literaryrestaurants on Twitter. While Fries with Guys might as well be called “When Instagram Selfies Go Wrong,” #literaryrestaurants (launched by Stephen Elliot, founder of online literary journal The Rumpus) is gaining traction among both food lovers and literary types. Our favorites include the following:
- @aprillmwall: “A Wrinke in Prime (steakhouse)” after Madeleine L’Engle’s science fiction novel.
- @RuthBourdain: “Beer and Loathing in Las Vegas” after Hunter S. Thompson’s classic.
- @thebstormer: “A Dining Room of One’s Own,” referencing Virginia Woolf.
- @CityLightsBooks: “Waiting for Godoughnuts,” after Samuel Beckett’s play.
- @theleanover: “The Taming of the Stew,” a shout out to Willy Shakespeare.
We also appreciated the effort from corporate accounts like @TacoBell (“For Whom the Taco Bell Tolls”), @Hooters (“Lord of the Wings”), and @Whataburger (“The Ketchup in the Fry”).