For those who suffer from celiac disease or have a non-celiac gluten sensitivity, beer is no longer off-limits. The gluten-free ale category has grown significantly in recent years, and over on Bon Appétit, suds writer Josh Bernstein helps pick out the best of the bunch. He explains that brewing companies have taken on “alternative grains and grasses such as sorghum, buckwheat, rice, and millet” to circumvent the reliance on gluten in more traditional recipes.
Here are the brews Bernstein suggests checking out:
- The Alchemist: Celia Saison (Vermont)
- Green’s Gluten Free Beers: Endeavor (England)
- Sprecher Brewing Co.: Shakparo Ale (Wisconsin)
- Estrella Damm: Daura (Spain)
- Dogfish Head: Tweason’Ale (Maryland)
- Omission Beer: Lager (Oregon)
- Harvester Fresh Hop IPA (Oregon)
- Epic Brewing Company: Glutenator (Utah).
- New Planet Gluten Free Beer: Raspberry Ale (Colorado)
- Lakefront Brewery: New Grist (Wisconsin).
[via Bon Appétit]