Northern Irish professional golfer Rory McIlroy suffered a bad bout of food poisoning after consuming a chicken club sandwich at his hotel in Shanghai, yet still managed to perform at the WGC-HSBC Champions. 

Typically, hotel food is a safe bet when traveling abroad, but unfortunately for McIlroy this was not the case. He tweets,


In just 48-hours, McIlroy lost 10 pounds. Yet, he did not let his illness hold him back from golfing. According to CNN, Rory was able to shoot a first round four-under-par 68 at the WGC-HSBC Champions. When asked about his sudden weight-loss, he explains,

“(I weigh) 150lbs, 68 kilos. I can’t remember the last time I was this light. I think it is more a case of rehydration now. Or a few burgers maybe, I don’t know.”


The outcome of the day even surprised McIlroy, who thought he would not perform as well as he did after being bedridden for the past two days. He notes, “it was probably a little better than I was expecting out there to be honest. When I was hitting balls this morning on the range I had not been out of bed for basically 48 hours, so I was really stiff. I needed to loosen up quite a lot, but when I got out there I felt pretty good.”

Well played, Rory. Now go eat those burgers.

[via CNN]