A McDonald’s in Waterloo, NY is being sued after diners where exposed to food and drinks prepared by an employee infected with Hepatitis A. A lawsuit was filed by customer Christopher Welch—who consumed food from the McDonald’s on at least one day that the infected employee was working—although he did not contract the virus himself.

The lawsuit seeks requisition for the 1,000 customers that could have been effected by the employee, although public officials claim diners have a low risk of contracting the illness. There hasn’t been any confirmed cases of the disease yet, but public officials are still urging those who dined at the McDonald’s location on November 2, 3, 5, 6 and 8  to consider treatment if they were not already vaccinated against hepatitis A.


A photo posted by Moon Wei (@moonwei) on

According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, the illness is spread when a person ingests even a microscopic amount of fecal matter from contaminated food or drinks. Hepatitis A typically causes inflammation of the liver with symptoms that can last as long as six weeks.


Back in September, a South Carolina Hardee’s faced a lawsuit after allowing an hepatitis A-infected employee to work for two weeks, causing 4,295 people to get vaccinated in fear of contracting the virus.

Let these stories be a friendly reminder of just how important it is to wash your hands.

[via Reuters]