Despite its name, nothing says Americana like a plate of fries. Travel & Leisure takes a quick peak into the etymology of French fries, which some trace back to Thomas Jefferson’s dinner table, where it was common to find “potatoes served in the French manner.” The history is all fascinating stuff, but to say that’s what the article is about would be to bury the lede. The more important question is, who has the best fries across the nation that you can eat right now?
As part of its “100 Places to Eat like a Local” series, T&L has chosen the following spots as the top contenders in the country. Did your favorite make the cut?
- Seattle’s Pike Street Fish Fry
- San Francisco’s Jasper’s Corner Tap
- Denver’s Jonesy’s EatBar
- Idaho’s Boise Fry Company
- The Green Room in Greenville, SC
- The Original Hot Dog Shop, Pittsburgh, PA
- Thrasher’s, Ocean City, MD
- Bourbon Steak, Miami
- The Breslin Bar & Dining Room in New York City
- Duckfat, Portland, ME