Trying to make a dollar out of 15¢ is no small feat. It’s particularly hard when you’re faced with the daunting task of making meals equally friendly to your palate, health, and budget.
Buzzfeed‘s new food editor, Emily Fleischaker, created a week’s worth of dinner plans complete with recipes, a shopping list (a downloadable PDF), and a comprehensive how-to on breaking down a whole chicken. Take a look at her menu:
- Day 1: Roast Chicken Breasts with Garbanzo Beans, Tomatoes, and Paprika with Sauteed Spinach and Greek Yogurt
- Day 2: Mixed Greens with Shredded Chicken, Peaches, Tomatoes, and Lemon-Yogurt Dressing
- Day 3: Bacon and Brussels Sprout “Pizzas”
- Day 4: Baked Eggs with Spinach, Bacon, and Caramelized Onions
- Day 5: Vegetarian Pasta Carbonara with Brussels Sprouts and Lemon Zest
The prices on her list are based on a grocery store in New York City’s East Village. Skewed? Maybe. But you know how it goes: If you can make it there, you can make it anywhere—for less.