When family visits, most people have a go-to plan for food. Maybe Grandma really loves her fried chicken, or Cousin Trevor can’t get enough of those Shake Shack fries. You’re probably mentally reviewing those plans in your head right now.
In those situations, the Montoya family of Colorado Springs, CO usually heads out to Joe’s Crab Shack to entertain their out-of-town guests. Everyone from every age group can find something they like, so it’s usually all good. Except this time, when this location of Joe’s Crab Shack apparently served alcohol to the six kids in the family, aged 2 to 8. According to the report, the problem started when the kids all ordered a drink called “Shark Nibbles” off the kids’ menu. The menu description says that this drink is “sweet and fruity with a bite and topped with a splash of grenadine.” It’s served with a toy shark in the cup.
That alone wouldn’t be a problem. Unfortunately, a decidedly adult boozy beverage on the menu called “Shark Bites” is a similar color, and also comes with a toy shark holding onto your splash of bright red grenadine.
Photo: Yelp/Lauren L.
Parents Omar and Trista Montoya told KKTV that a waitress came back to their table about 30 minutes after the drinks had been served to the kids. She took the drinks away, explaining that “the wrong ingredients” had been used to prepare them.
Then a manager appeared and explained that some alcohol had accidentally been poured into the kids’ drinks. One of the kids was a two-year-old-girl, and she’d already finished her drink by the time the Joe’s Crab Shack staff realized the mistake.
The manager told the parents that the drinks had been ‘mislabeled,’ but no one’s clear yet on what the processes were that led to the turnt-up kiddie beverages.
When one of the kids complained that they weren’t feeling well, the Montoyas called paramedics. All the kids were cleared and sent home.
Both Colorado Springs Police and Joe’s Crab Shack’s corporate office are investigating the matter separately.
JCS also issued this statement:
Obviously, we wouldn’t want this happening to any two-year-old we know. But serving kids accidental lye milkshakes is still a much scarier prospect.